Friday, June 18, 2010

Squires Road Trip 2010 Day 14

We started off our day with a huge history lesson. We had a great morning going to the Central High School Visitor Center. We were all amazed by the amount of things we learned in the time we were at the center. I highly recommend all to visit this place if you are ever in the area. Jayden and Spencer learning about the Little Rock 9 and how they helped the desegregation process. I should probably should write more about what we learned today, however it would make this page very long. If any of you are interested in hearing more just let me know, I would be glad to tell you more.
After we finished at the visitor center we went over to the High School which is actually still in operation and took some pictures of this magnificent building. We then headed out of Little Rock, Arkansas and started on our long drive for the day. As you can see below we crossed into Oklahoma today.

We made a brief stop in Oklahoma City to go see the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. Again this was educational for ourselves and our kids. The mood was pretty somber the whole time we were here. Of course that is understanding since it is a memorial for a tragic moment in our history. Below Tammy and the kids are looking at a picture timeline of the events.
Below my kids decided that they were going to leave a message for the people who died that day. Shaelyn wrote "God Bless Us", Spencer wrote "God Bless the Kids". I was a proud dad that my kids wanted to do that. I was equally impressed that the memorial provides chalk for the kids and people to write in a designated area to express their feelings about this event.
Ok after I figured out how to work the parking meter and paid for my parking and someone Else's parking we fought through the construction downtown and found a way out of town. I must say as you can see from the pictures below the kids are still being really good in the car and they seem to adjust well to all of the travel.
Wide awake one minute crashed the next. They all took naps on the trip today. I believe I was the only one not getting some sleep on this leg of the trip.
Tonight we are staying in Elk City, OK. It is located on the historic route 66. We went by the museum and then went and ate dinner at a nice restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment