Thursday, June 17, 2010

Squires Road Trip 2010 Day 12

I have added the picture below to today's post because we didn't like the Missouri sign that they had as we came into St. Louis, so we took this today on our way out of Missouri. Yes we are dedicated to this process and will take exits off the freeway and turn around just to get the right picture.
Well today we awoke in St. Louis and with a relatively small trip to Memphis today we decided to go on a small tour of St. Louis in the car. Since I have been here before I knew the cool buildings to show the family. I love the old buildings in downtown St. Louis. Below are a few buildings we went by on our tour. Below is a picture of City Hall.

After our self guided tour we went and got some doughnuts and headed down to Memphis. It was going to take us two hours to get to our lunch stop. Yes we knew exactly where we were going to have lunch today. We were going to eat at a place we found online. This place was serving food when Route 66 was booming. The cooks were so busy filling the orders that they just started throwing the rolls to the customers that needed one. They still keep this tradition going today. They actually have a guy that goes around throwing rolls to everyone. It looked like a pretty good job (he seemed to enjoy it). If you put your hand up, you better be ready for a roll flying across the room at you. Besides the entertainment of the roll throwing the food was absolutely delicious! Each one of us said that it was the best food we had. The portions of the food were enormous and they kept bringing extra sides around. We were all stuffed when we left the place. Oh and by the way it was way cheap for the amount of food we had.

Above the guy is loading up to throw a roll to a customer. Below Shaelyn is catching a roll that was thrown across the room. She was making some pretty awesome catches.

Below is a picture of us at Lambert's Cafe. Notice the plate sizes and what they served our drinks in (34oz. mugs).

OK so I didn't sleep too well in St. Louis and was up at 5:30 central and didn't go back to sleep. So after lunch I decided to let Tammy drive for the first time of this trip and I would take a nap. As you can see they had a little fun with me on this section of the trip. I must say I would rather drive anytime. I thought it would be easy over in the "copilot" seat. I underestimated the role by a long shot. I had to program the GPS, look over the map and find our pit stops and make sure all the kids were good before I could start my nap. Then I had to get up to take pictures at the state signs. I have now decided that Tammy is no longer just the copilot, she is now called the Navigational Officer and way above my pay grade. So needless to say I will be going back to my simple driving duties.


Yep I took that picture that you see below.

Once we arrived in Memphis we went to the motel and got checked in. The rest of the evening we went swimming and hung out in our room. We were still pretty full from lunch so we just snacked for dinner. Then we had movie night with popcorn watching Iron Man on the laptop.

1 comment:

  1. What JJ forgot to mention is that before he could sleep the kids were giving him all sorts of crap for trying to sleep. He was a good sport and it helped to make the day fun!!

    ReplyDelete